This week, we’re taking a quick look at how to stay organized during your office moving project. It goes without saying that office moving in New York City can be a hectic and time-consuming ordeal! One of the biggest challenges companies face, especially small businesses and those without much moving experience, is staying organized before and during your office relocation. By keeping these tips in mind, you can help ensure your office moving project goes smoothly and seamlessly!
• Create a moving calendar. Starting a moving calendar is a great way to help keep organized, track what’s been accomplished so far and stay on top of what needs to be done. Key items to include could be getting moving quotes, hiring office movers, getting your Certificate of Insurance, sending out email reminders to employees, conducting an office purge and the like.
• Print your inventory and save it to a cloud computing service. As your office moving project gets underway, be sure to print out a physical copy of your inventory and save it to a cloud computing service such as Google Drive or Dropbox. Doing so adds an extra layer of safety in case any of your office content or critical files end up damaged, lost or stolen during your move.
• Conduct an office purge before moving. A simple but effective way to save time, money and office space as your relocation gets underway, office purges are a great way to declutter your office before finally moving! Be sure to send email reminders out to employees before your move with clear instructions on what sorts of unneeded files and office supplies they should dispose of and when the office purge deadline is.
• Organize your cords and electronics carefully. Color-code your cords and electronic and digital equipment before moving to ensure they end up in the right place after you move. In addition, always wrap up your cords tightly and securely to make sure they get to the new office safely and can be unpacked and set up quickly.
• Notify clients, customers and vendors in advance. Finally, always notify your vendors, customers and clients of your move several weeks before it actually begins. Be sure to include your new address and contact information when informing them to minimize any confusion. Social media, website updates, flyers and email newsletters are all great ways to inform your customers, clients and vendors of your relocation!