Welcome to this week’s edition of Tuesday Tips!
This week, let’s take a quick look at safety during office moving. Staying safe is often something that taken for granted during an office moving project here in New York City. However, a disorganized and careless move can pose a real safety hazard for employees. Fortunately, by keeping a few simple tips in mind, your office moving project can go safely for everyone involved!
- Avoid tripping hazards. When in the midst of a commercial moving project, be sure to go to great lengths to minimize tripping hazards. Keep your tape, boxes, packing materials and office content being moved closely together and away from any open hallways or walkways in between cubicles.
- Keep an eye on furniture. Unsecure furniture waiting to be moved poses a potential falling hazard to employees nearby. Warn them beforehand to avoid any unsecured furniture and, if at all possible, be sure to secure it until just before relocating it.
- Don’t obstruct any exits. When packing and prepping for an office relocation, be sure not to obstruct any emergency exits. Instruct your employees to keep their moving crates, boxes and packing materials well away from any exits and instead keep them close to their workstations and well away from any doors or hallways.
- Take into account allergies and cleaning product reactions. Ask your employees before moving if they have asthma or any known allergic reactions to dust or cleaning products. If they do, ask them to leave until the move is complete or where a mask to protect themselves. It’s always better to be safe than sorry!
- Have an emergency plan just in case. In the event that someone is injured during the move, develop an emergency plan beforehand. Ensure that 911 is promptly dialed and the exits are free of any debris or moving boxes. Keeping a first-aid kit on-hand too is also a good idea.
- Hire professionals to do the heavy lifting. When getting ready for an office moving project in New York City, it’s best to leave it to the professionals to (literally!) do all of the heavy lifting. Hiring experienced, professional office movers not only leaves your commercial moving project in the hands of the pros, but also greatly minimizes the risk to your employees!
- Photo Credit: Public Domain via Pixabay