Welcome to this week’s edition of Tuesday Tips!
This week, let’s take a quick look at a few office moving tips for employees. While managers and business owners are generally the deciding factor when it comes on when and where to move, employees also play a critical role in the office moving process. Without them, a move can often be disorganized and inefficient – meaning that it’s critical that they stay in the loop as to what’s going on and what to do! Here are just a few office moving tips for employees to keep in mind before a move!
- Communicate with your managers effectively. Communication is critical when it comes to office moving. If you have any questions about what you should pack, what should be thrown away and what any key deadlines are, be sure to contact your manager right away! If you’re unsure of any files or documents to throw away or not, always double check with your manager or supervisor first.
- Pack up your filing cabinets correctly. Sometimes, employees are tasked with packing up filing cabinets for a commercial moving project. While going through your filing cabinets, sort everything into three piles: taking to your new location, shredding and recycling. This will make it easier to organize and pack your key files while also disposing of any unneeded documents much more efficiently.
- Be sure to pack up your workstations and desks. When it comes to packing up your desk, remember to double check your drawers and to wrap any sensitive items in bubble wrap or some other form of protective layering. It’s also critical to note any deadlines when it comes to packing up your workstation before moving – don’t wait until the last second!
- Follow proper procedures when it comes to packing computers and IT. Your office movers will generally offer instructions on how – and if – to get ready to pack up your workstation computer. Generally, it’s a good idea to back up your critical data before moving, remove all disks and to turn off and disconnect your computer before your office movers arrive.
- Follow instructions clearly and reach out immediately if you have any questions. Be sure to note any moving instructions carefully in your calendar and to reach out right away if you have any questions. Commercial moving is a team effort – don’t get left behind!